CONGRATULATIONS to the two students who entered for exams this term!
Both achieved a DISTINCTION for Grade 1. A fantastic result and very well-deserved!
Now that all the preparation is done, and exam day has arrived, here are my top tips.
- Arrive early. There’s nothing more stressful than worrying you are going to be late, or something unexpected happening on the journey.
- Test the piano in the exam room. Examiner’s don’t mind you doing this, and may well invite you to. Try some loud and quiet notes and the pedal at the least.
- Before you play anything, take a deep breath. Before a scale try repeating to yourself exactly what the examiner has asked for and then do it.
- If you do make a mistake, don’t panic. Try to move on and not think about it. Mistakes do happen and it’s not the end of the world.
- Smile at the examiner – they really are on your side and want you to do well.
Piano lessons are able to continue online whilst lockdown is ongoing in the UK. Students have a choice of lessons by video link, e.g. skype or zoom or by emailing recordings of their playing. Whilst I certainly am looking forward to the return of lessons in person, during this unprecedented time online lessons are providing continuity in musical learning and focus whilst lockdown is in place.
From November 2019, lessons will be held in Old Farm Park, in the MK7 area of Milton Keynes.